by Teddy Noye, 40-935 Avenida Arcada, Palm Desert, CA 92260 (619) 341-9839
Birth: 13 Oct 1807 Place: KY
Death: 27 Oct 1865 Place: Andrew Co., MO
Burial Place: Kimberlin Creek Baptist Church Cemetery, IN
marr. 19 Sep 1829 in Scott Co, Indiana to Mary SMITH, b. ca 1813, NY. Mary father was Abel M. SMITH. Children...
1. Theodore SUTTON, b. ca 1831 Lexington Twp, Scott Co., IN, m. Mary Jane KING on 8 Mar 1860 in Andrew Co., MO
2. Francis M. SUTTON, b.ca 1834 in Lexingtown Twp, Scott Co., IN.
3. Larilda SUTTON, b.ca 1836 in Lexington Twp, Scott Co., IN.
4 Clarissa B. SUTTON, b. 19 Jul 1839 in Scott Co., IN, d. 24 Sep 1900 Phillipsburg, Kansas, bur. Fairview Cemetery, Phillipsburg, KS [Buried in space 5-1-19]. Married Samuel "Lemach" ADKINS on 5 Jun 1856 in Savannah, Andrew Co, MO
5. William A. SUTTON, b. 18 Jan 1841 Scott Co, IN, d. 16 Jan 1851 Lexington Twp, Scott Co, IN, bur. Kimberlin Creek Baptist Church Cemetery
6. Mary A. SUTTON, b. ca 1842 Lexington Twp, Scott Co., IN.
7. Catharine J. SUTTON, b. ca 1845 Lexington Twp, Scott Co., IN.
8. Joshua A. SUTTON, b. 5 Feb 1848 Scott Co, IN, d. 31 Aug 1850 Scott Co, IN, bur. Lexington Twp, Scott County, Indiana
9. Harriett "Rebecca" SUTTON, b. 24 Apr 1850 New Albany, Scott Co., IN, d. 5 Jul 1936 Savannah, Andrew Co., MO. Married John H. KENNEDY on 13 Sep 1868 in Andrew Co., MO
Census records found:
1830 Clark Co, Pg. 48
1840 Scott Co, Pg. 459
1850 Scott Co, Pg. 332
1850 Scott Co, Lexington Twp, IN, pg #332, Dwelling & Family #35: Enumerated on 26 Aug 1850:
Sutton, Obed age 47 male farmer born KY
" Mary age 37 female born NY
" Francis M. age 16 male born IN
" Theodore age 19 male born IN
" Larilda age 14 female born IN
" Clarissa age 12 female born IN
" William A. age 10 male born IN
" Mary A. age 8 female born IN
" Catharine J. age 5 female born IN
" Joshua A. age 3 male born IN
" Harriett age 4 months born IN
1820: Scott Co., IN, Lexington Twp:
John Sutton, pg 154 & pg 161
Zachariah Sutton pg 155
Obadiah Sutton Clark Co.no Twp, pg 25
Abel M. Smith Clark Co., Jeffersonville, pg 37
Zacheus Sutton Scott Co., Lexington, pg 287
Ephraim Sutton Clark Co., no twp, pg 312
Z. Sutton Scott Co., no twp, pg 248
Obed Sutton Scott Co., no twp, pg 235
Acaheus (Zacheus??) Sutton, Scott Co., Vienna Twp, pg 147
Obed Sutton Scott Co., Lexington Twp, pg 166
John Sutton Clark Co., Jeffersonville, pg 164
M.F. Sutton Clark Co., Jeffersonville, pg 174
Another Sutton, Zacheus, was in Scott Co at same time, born c1797 in North Carolina. Could be Obed's brother.
Kimberlin Creek Baptist Church Cemetery, Lexington Township, Scott County, Indiana show 3 Suttons buried, Obed and 2 sons, William A. and Joshua A.
Kimberlin Creek Baptist Church Cemetery is located on State Road 356 about midway between Vienna and Lexington. It derives its name from the stream, a tributary of Stucker Creek, which in turn was named for Scott County's first settler, John Kimberlin, who came here in 1804. The church was organized at the Plymouth Schoolhouse on June 1, 1849. Elder John Chambers (1800-1882) served as pastor until 1853. Red-brick School No. 12 stood in the churchyard for many years, and was finally burned down in 1964. Cemetery is well cared for and is still in use.
Obed & Mary Sutton, Scott Co., IN:
Selling for $100 to James Spangler on 1 March 1854
Selling for $450.00 to William M. Smallwood, 40 acres in Jeffersonville, on 29 January 1856.
Note: Mary and Obed left Scott Co., IN near the first of February, 1856, headed for Andrew Co., MO. Daughter Clarissa married Lemach Adkins on 5 June 1856. Considering travel time between IN and MO, Clarissa and Lemach knew each other for only a couple of months before marriage. Clarissa was only 16 years old when she married Lemach. Lemach was 19 years old.
Return to ISSUE 22 - Table of Contents
Return to the SUTTON SEARCHERS homepage.
Last modified: December 21, 1996